I know this isn’t the best photography in the world, but its the only decent shot I was able to get of this appetizer plate that I threw together in about five minutes using things we already had in our fridge. And I think that’s the appeal of the whole thing. If you are having company over and you have a well-stocked refrigerator, this appetizer is quick and easy! I am also including a recipe for marinated artichoke hearts, which are tangy and delicious.
Here’s what I have on my plate:
- Marinated artichokes (recipe follows)
- Stuffed grape leaves [not pictured]
- Prosciutto drizzled with balsamic glaze [not pictured]
- Pan-fried haloumi (this is a really cool Greek cheese that you can brown on a nonstick pan without the cheese melting!) [not pictured]
There is no method to the arrangement – I just threw a bunch of things together on a plate. Next time, I think I will put the hummus in a separate bowl to make dipping easier. Don’t forget to include a small bowl for olive pits!
Potential additions to your appetizer plate:
- Caprese salad (slice rounds of tomato and mozzarella, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle basil chiffonade on top)
- Cucumber, tomato, red onion, and feta salad
- Any combination of cheeses
- Bruschetta on garlic-rubbed toast
- Olive tapenade
- Sliced cucumbers topped with lemon vinaigrette
- Carrot sticks with a yogurt-dill sauce
- Roasted red peppers
- Warm pita slices
Recipe for Marinated Artichoke Hearts
- A 12 oz. bag of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and quartered
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1.5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- Set oil, garlic, salt, and oregano in a small saucepan over low heat. You are not deep frying the ingredients – you are just warming them. Let the flavors come together for about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in white balsamic vinegar.
- Set a nonstick frying pan over medium heat and add the artichoke quarters. Cook them until slightly browned, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- When artichokes are browned, add them to the warm oil and allow to reach room temperature. Cover with lid or plastic wrap and let marinate in refrigerator overnight.