I decided to do an Indian theme for dinner the other night so I chose a tandoori-style chicken and some oven-roasted vegetables. This recipe can be made with breasts or thighs. It tastes a lot like tandoori chicken to me, the only difference being that this wasn’t cooked in a tandoori oven. I made it on the grill, but it would also work in a really hot oven. It would taste great with a side of couscous or basmati rice.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 2 tablespoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix yogurt, spices and lime zest and juice in a glass bowl. Cut the chicken into large pieces and make sure each pieces is coated in yogurt mixture. Marinate for several hours in the fridge.
- Take chicken out about 30 minutes before you start cooking and let it come to room temperature.
- Heat your grill to high and arrange chicken on a slotted grill rack. Close the lid and grill until edges are charred and juices run clear. This took 15-20 minutes for our chicken, but varies depending on size of pieces and how hot the grill is. Cut open the largest piece of chicken and make sure it is cooked through. That’s how you know if all the pieces are ready.
- You can also heat your oven to 500°, put the chicken on a grill rack, and bake until edges are charred and juices run clear.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve while warm.